Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Hey, Hippy Johnny. Welcome to Ubud.






After leaving the island filled with the Aussie surfers, some of the other teachers and I made our way to Ubud. Ubud is a gorgeous, new agey town with lots of tourists in search of good vibes. About 2 hours after my arrival I decided that this giant linen shirt, some yoga pants, flip flops, and a necklace made out of water buffalo horn constituted an "outfit". I also found myself wanting to buy statues of Buddah, several batik items, and lots of silver jewelry. More disturbingly, for a hot second I considered how a dream catcher would look over my bed in Samarinda. After dinner, I heard the dread locked hippies doing a drum circle cover of "I Will Survive". I LIKED IT. I THOUGHT IT WAS MELLOW AND COOL. I began to wonder if I should start looking for work in either Santa Cruz, California, or Northampton, Massachusetts. I also began to wonder if I needed to re-examine my feelings about the music of The Greatful Dead and Phish. Finally, I wondered if I could really learn the noodle dance and write in a dream journal. However, then I had another thought. Maybe I don't really want to get into meditation, talk about my aura, or have a guru. Maybe I just really like the idea of living someplace where it is ok to wear your pajamas as outside clothes. Ubud, XOXO.





The view from my hotel


Sunset in Ubud



I went on a bike tour of some villages surrounding the rice patties. I kept passing a lot of guys like this one who were carrying sickles. Needless to say, I decided to not bike all that fast.

Me and my friend Noreen from Napa in the rice patty.


Some more rice patty action

A man working in the rice patties who I am sure was super thrilled to have a bunch of tourists stop and photograph him.



I got distracted by the pretty view and took a wrong turn.

My poor Vans after I took a wrong turn in the rice patty.



We stopped at a traditional family compound. Each one has it's own family temple.


The grandmother was busy weaving walls and roofs.

The compound kitchen made me feel like I wasn't such a terrible housekeeper.

I'm happy to report that even in the traditional family compound, they still know the number of the beast.


Another family temple


The outside of a family compound

Some fruit

4 comments:

  1. Haha! I love your posts Michaela. Such an accurate account of the wonderful place that is Ubud. I can't wait to get back and do the bike tour! I'm stealing your pictures, by the way...they are phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Hippy Johnny, I do, I do.

    You could be a bad ass noodle dancer, I am sure.

    XOXOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, i like to refer to that as poo foot. it happened to me recently in dolores park and i lost my mocassin.

    and, i knew that drum circle had to be in ubud!!!!

    glad you are considering the tunes phish and the dead. you can come to shows with me next summer ;)

    ReplyDelete